Friday, November 25, 2011

Makita battery conversion Details


YOU ASKED,

Will this charger charge batteries that the chip timed out in? Also, what has been your experience with this charger in new Makita 1830li batteries. I'm a remodeling contractor and and have had 3 1830's go out last week and need a charger that can overcome this "chip" problem.
MY ANSWER,

Hi,

I have to say that irony has a way of bringing up a smile. What is the chance of Chip having a problem with a chip.

Anyway, no pun intended.

The universal charger that is in my offer would perform the function of analyses but when the fault in the battery comes up it will check out just like the Makita charger. The difference is the Makita charger reads the battery for information and will not respond when the chip in the battery opens.

I would suggest that all of your batteries have an internal problem (usually a bad cell) that has caused the battery to fail. Now if the chip has been tripped three times it can't be reset and your Makita charger will never recognize it again even after the fault has been neutralized.

If you have not tried to charge the batteries after the first fault the batteries could be rebuilt and then again recharged on your Makita charger. If the chip has been tripped then you have to use a universal charger after the battery is repaired or rebuilt.

Historically, what I have found is the one cell that powers the circuit board is the first cell to die and may be the only bad cell in the pack. This is not always the case but I would put my money on the thought.

If you could ship me the batteries I could run the tests to determine the problem with the batteries and if the chip has tripped or not. In either case the batteries can be rebuilt. The only question then is how you are going to charge them. The options are all better than tossing the batteries and replacing them with new.

Just a suggestion. Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment