Friday, September 30, 2011

Power Tool Battery Rebuild DIY

You Asked,

Is it possible to purchase cells and cases to rebuild as a DIY project?

My Answer,

Firstly, thank you for the order of 3 Craftsman Lithium batteries. I will get them packed up and out in tomorrows mail.

Secondly, I get most of my cases from the customers when they need an upgrade or rebuild. It is better for them to send me their cases to make sure I can fill their orders.

I do buy recycled cases from a variety of entities and rebuild them for direct sales.

I do buy cells wholesale to rebuild with.

Cells are available for DIY if a person feels they have the ability to do the rebuild.

I operate a complete battery lab with all the necessary equipment to get the job done. The equipment alone costs tens of thousands of dollars and a person would have to have a big need for rebuilt batteries to justify a DIY operation.

There is also a large learning curve to properly rebuild batteries alone with the computerized equipment to test with.

The Lithium Ion batteries you have purchased have an inherent danger factor in the cells that requires a computer within the battery to control the balance of all cells. The computer will shut down the battery or charging event if there is any fault withing the pack. If misused, the cells will explode and could possibly ruin your day.

I would discourage you from rebuilding unless you have been properly trained in the chemistry of these power units. I rework a large number of batteries that customers made an attempt to rebuild.

With that said, It would not be me that would dictate to talented individuals to not learn about the industry.

Thank you for asking,

Ernie

No comments:

Post a Comment