Saturday, October 15, 2011

Makita Li-Ion power tool battery option

For those people who have a problem with Makita's circuit boards "untimely" time out problem I have posted an option to allow the rebuilding of these batteries and I have recently posted a battery/charger package on eBay.

I have tested these batteries throughout the charge/discharge range and find that the four algorithms assigned to safety function normally and it is now possible to take those timed out batteries and put them back into service.

The charger I have assigned to the package will work with any 18v Li-Ion battery allowing broad range use.

I have modified the case to accept the new charger leads and the hookup is simple. In fact in my lab this is the same type of charger I use on all my rebuilds.

If this information is important for people that purchased these batteries and do not want to scrap them and replace with new can take advantage of this Resurrection program.

If anyone is interested in the program I need cases to work with and I believe this option is a reasonable way to overcome an inconvenience as well as added expense. There are many of these affected cases being sold as rebuildable in many venues and I do not believe the information is widely understood that if they have timed out they can not be charged on a proprietary charger.

I bought two (2) dozen New Craftsman Diehard Li-Ion batteries that had a similar circuit board problem.

I was able salvaged ten (10) cases and circuit boards to rebuild. I added new cells and have offered these batteries which are basically brand new to the public. These batteries were never issued to the public but sold as salvage. I am so Eco Friendly oriented I had to give it a try. I will go back and pull the remainder of the circuit boards out and find those that only have a charging problem and offer them in a similar package as listed above.

Li-Ion cells are inherently dangerous and no one should believe they can cut corners with these cells and eliminate the safety protocols. I have deliberately popped these cells with abuse and they are nasty.

Li-Ion is the cell of the future and with respect and care will replace all other cells eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment